A summary of the requirements candidates from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must fulfill in order to practice medicine in Norway is described below.

1. Language Requirements
2. Authorisation
3. Registration


1. Language Requirements

Proficiency in Norwegian (passing of the «Bergen-test» with a score of 500/B) is required before applying for internship/license in Norway.


2. Authorisation

Authorisation represents a full and permanent approval, while licences impose one or more limitations with respect to duration, independent or supervised practice/training etc.

To apply for authorisation please follow the points below:

Prepayment of case handling fee

In order to initiate the case handling procedure, a fee must be paid in advance. A valid receipt – either from on-line bank or directly from your bank – should be sent with your application form.


You can apply for either an authorisation or a license.

An authorisation gives you the right to practice your profession in Norway

A license gives you the right to practice within a limited time frame, while obtaining full authorisation


When filling in the profession you wish to apply authorisation for, please pick one of the listed on the SAK website (only in Norwegian).


In order to assess your professional background sufficiently your documentation will ensure that our evaluation will be as correct as possible. It is therefore of the utmost importance that all relevant documentation is sent with your application (and certified).

Applicants educated in one or more of the EU/EEA countries:


Diplomas/records for all relevant education

Authorisation/license, if your profession is regulated in your home country or country of education. Submit a «Certificate of Current Professional Status» confirming your certified authorisation in the specific country. The declaration must not be dated more than 3 months previous.​ The CCPS must be in English and sent directly from the competent authority to SAK.

Attach a detailed overview of university/college you attended, including a presentation of the tutorial programme. Theoretical classes you have followed should be listed by the number of hours, and conducted practice by the number of weeks/hours spent within each department.

Remember to mention the date of start and graduation.


Those who wish to apply for authorisation, must pay the processing fee in advance.

The rate for application for authorisation is NOK 1.665

The rate for medical practitioners, chiropractors and physiotherapists who are to do their internship, is NOK 2.635

Processing time starts once the fee has been paid and all necessary documents have been sent to SAK. If, for some reason SAK should need to contact you for further documentation processing time may be prolonged.

Processing time

The time required to process your application will depend on country of education:

  • EU/EEA countries: 3-4 months

In some cases SAK will need a detailed course plan containing a description of each subject with the number of hours for each subject. This must be provided by the university/college you attended.


3. Registration

The registration scheme for EU/EEA nationals

How the registration scheme works

You can move to Norway and start working right away, but you must register no later than three months after your arrival in Norway.

You only need to register once, regardless of how long you will be living in Norway. You can also, for example, go from being a student to being employed without having to re-register.

You must fall into one of the categories described on this page the whole time you are living in Norway, for example employee or student.

If you meet the requirements for registering, the police will issue you a registration certificate.

Registration is free.


You have a job in Norway.

Rights and obligations

You can change jobs and you can have one or more employers.

You can bring your family to Norway. They must also register.

After five years in Norway, you can be granted permanent right of residence.

What happens if you no longer have a job?

If you have worked in Norway for at least one year, you can continue to live in Norway and look for a new job for as long as you wish. You cannot have resigned from the job and you must have registered as a job seeker with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration, Nav, (external website).

If you have worked in Norway for less than one year, you can continue to live in Norway and look for a new job for six months. You cannot have resigned from the job and you must have registered as a job seeker with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration, Nav, (external website).

If you cannot work because you are temporarily incapacitated due to illness or accident, you can continue to live in Norway for as long as you wish.