A summary of the requirements candidates from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must fulfill in order to practice medicine in Sweden is described below.

1. Language Requirements
2. License to practice
3. Immigration regulations

1. Language requirements

Doctors trained within the EU/EEA or Switzerland

Practicing medicine also entails a responsibility to have sufficient knowledge of the Swedish language and to be familiar with Swedish legislation in your field.

The individual professional is responsible for ensuring that he or she has sufficient knowledge of the Swedish language, according to Article 53 of Directive 2005/36/EC

The professional responsibility also means that the individual professional have a duty to be familiar with Swedish legislation in your field, so that you are able to practise the profession. This applies both to employees and independent practitioners in the healthcare sector.

Language course designed for doctors

There are a few language courses designed exclusively for healthcare staff. SFA-medicin in Södertälje is one of these courses.

Swedish for immigrants (SFI) is organised by the the municipalities. It is required that you have a residence permit and you have to be registered in the municipality.


2. License to practice

Doctors educated within the EU/EEA or Switzerland

The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) is the organisation that registers doctors to practice medicine in Sweden. Socialstyrelsen also provides information on language training and education in medical legislation etc

The EU- Directive 2005/36/EC aims to facilitate the free movement of doctors, among other professions. Among the EU/EEA states, the Directive provides for the mutual recognition of medical qualifications on basic training level as well as specialty level without the special conditions of additional training or special language skills.

Certificate of specialist qualification

If you have a certificate of specialist qualification from another EU/EEA country you need to apply for recognition of specialist qualifications.

Certificates of specialist qualifications from other EU/EEA country will automatically become recognized by Socialstyrelsen provided that:

  •    The EU/EEA country where the evidence of specialist qualification was issued, has reported the specialty at issue to Annex V of Directive 2005/36/EC.
  •    Sweden has reported the specialty at issue to Annex V of Directive 2005/36/EC.

3. Immigration regulations

Citizens from the EU/EEA or Switzerland

As a citizen in the EU/EEA and Switzerland you have the right to work in Sweden without a work permit or a residence permit. The same applies for your family members. You and your family members have the right to start working immediately. If you want to stay longer than three months you have to register at the Swedish Migration Board.

If you work, study or have sufficient means to support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and therefore need not register with or apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency. After five years you can receive permanent right of residence.

However, if you want to apply for a residence permit, the following are counted as family:

  •    spouse, common-law spouse or registered partner
  •    future spouse, common-law spouse
  •    children under 18.